All in Mallorca: The Municipality of Muro


The Municipality of Muro

The municipality of Muro is situated in the northeast of Majorca, and the name is given by the Latin and mozarab word murus –which means wall-. King Jaume II promoted in 1330 the concentration of inhabitants in this area.

Its flat landscape (Turons de Sant Jeroni, 129 metres high) has a coastal area, wetland, l′Albufera Gran, as well as irrigated and unirrigated agricultural land, irrigated by Torrent de Muro or Vinagrella. Cane, orchids, marine iris, marine thistle, pine trees and others are the kind of vegetation that populates this territory. 

L′Albufera Gran (2.584 hectares and 32 kilometres of perimeter) has an enormous ecological importance (230 species of birds), as well as subsistence (hunting and fishing) and historical (the Roman bridge of Pol.lentia used to be in Estany des Ponts). In 1988 it was declared the first official natural reserve by the Govern de les Illes Balears.

Muro and sa Pobla are the majorcan villages that are best known for their agriculture, although the tourism began to lead the economy of the municipality in the sixties of the 20th century, replacing the agricultural activity and the extraction of sandstone, which used to be the dominating activities.

Its cultural variety includes the 48 arqueological sites. You should visit Ca na Cotxera (talaiotic village), Església Parroquial de Sant Joan Baptista, Esglesieta de la Sang, Convent de Santa Anna, where there is still a small procession organ, Pont de Morell, Possessió de Son Perera Vell and Plaça de Toros, in a former marès quarry. 

The municipality has 4 beaches: